Monday, December 8, 2008

Nothing is more of a bore...

than a band that just stands on stage. Do something besides stand with your feet glued to one spot. Look like you are at least having fun please. K?! Thanks!

On the subject of just live shows, here are a couple other things I've noticed that I don't appreciate:

3 bands on the line-up...that's awesome! Grab a couple beers...rock out in the crowd...When the first band is done...swap out the gear (come on, 15 minutes or less)...second band hits the stage...and the first band is out the door...WTF?! Why not at least catch the band you are playing with and support them? I just think this shows poor musicianship. Thoughts?

Is it really all about getting paid? Whatever happened to "for the love of music?"

Seriously...I'd like some input here...especially if you are in a band....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll start by giving my quick two cents on set-up/tear-down. It's directly related to touring experience and/or professional courtesy. If you have one or both, you don't lollygag on stage after a set unless you headlined and the sound guy or club manager is not in a hurry to get you out. Pretty simple.

For your other observation... I always try to hear the bands on the bill with us, especially if they asked us to play or we booked the show. I do think it's in slightly poor taste if an entire band leaves after their set. That said, things come up which force bands to hit the road early. I'll give touring bands the benefit of the doubt anytime. The "random" bill shows that sometimes get cobbled together have the potential for openers to leave after playing just because they don't know the other bands and may not like the music. I can't blame people for not wanting to hear us if it's not their cup of tea. The only think I'd ask is just to be respectful about leaving. I'd rather not notice a band loading out equipment by the stage when we're performing. Not subtle, but it happens. Though I have to say most of our shows have been shared with many gracious and awesome individuals who make "for the love of music" even more enjoyable.