Monday, December 8, 2008

The Huguenots, Static Minds, the magic babies - 12.5.2008

Slims....Friday night...complete and utter honesty in this post.

The Huguenots started the night out. They hail from Chapel Hill and this was my first time seeing them. Honestly, I was not impressed. Their crowd booked it out the door when they were finished playing. Must have had a tea party at Top o' the Hill to attend to...understandable. I'm stereotyping when I say this...they had Chapel Hill written all over them...looked it...and smelled it. I don't normally like to say I'll never see them again but too poppy for me. Everything sounded the same. It was nice to see the instruments changing hands a couple times between the bass player and the 2 guitarists...but, not my type of jams.

Static Minds next on the list. Yay!!! First show for them. Of course, these guys are not new to the scene, but this band was awesome. Pieced together from the Suburban Sweethearts, minus Joe Yerry, plus Andy Kerr, these guys totally rocked. I liked the Sweethearts, but this is definitely a great project. I will definitely be keeping up with them! and you should too...

The last band of the evening: the magic babies. This was my second time seeing them. I caught them a couple weeks ago at Tir na Nog, and, again, not impressed. Here's my thoughts on them - and yes, I actually took notes while they were playing. First off - I think they sound like whining girls playing "safe" rock. The drummer definitely is an energetic player - the others in the band - not so much. When I saw them at Tir na Nog, I told my friends that I was with this "So, if the Scooby Doo Gang made a band....this would totally be them." A friend of mine made a reference to Squeeze. I halfway agree - but, I kind of like Squeeze. Anyways, I was bored at both shows. Maybe I'm being brutal, but at least it's honesty.

Two good things from the night - Static Minds and Chris Serino behind the bar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

quite interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter.